Do you ever get a baking itch you have to scratch? Like when you hear about something and the idea of making it sticks in your head and you find yourself googling all these recipes until you actually scratch that damn itch and make it already? I do. And that’s how I felt about homemade graham crackers.
These are perfect for summer time. Since I guess that’s what it is now that it’s past Memorial Day.
I used some vegan marshmallows from Trader Joe’s (for $2.99 whatup) and used some of their dark chocolate lover’s bar to make s’mores. It was epic. But I also like eating graham crackers with peanut butter.
Truth be told I made these last summer, but recently found the photos and realized I never posted this recipe! So here it is, from the archives :). Enjoy!
Homemade Graham Crackers
Prep Time: 30-50 minutes
Cook Time: 15-25 minutes
Servings: about 24 crackers, depending on size
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or graham flour (Bob’s Red Mill and a few other brands make this; I found it at my local grocery store, but whole wheat pastry flour also works)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground clove (optional)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- 3 tablespoons non0-dairy butter, or coconut oil, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, cinnamon, spices, baking soda and salt in a bowl and mix.
- In a small bowl, whisk brown sugar, butter, molasses, vanilla, and non-dairy milk.
- Add dry mix to wet mix and fold together until combined.
- Roll dough into a ball and allow to cool in the refrigerator for about 30-40 minutes, or in the freezer for 10. This is optional, but will help with rolling.
- Flour a surface and roll dough into a large rectangle, about 1/4th inch thick.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the dough into triangles. I used a meat-cutter to make fun edges. This is optional.
- If desired, poke holes into surface to resemble graham crackers.
- Transfer to parchment-paper lined baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, until browned and slightly firm. Rotate halfway through baking.
- Allow to cool completely. Crackers will harden a bit as they cool.