I made up this recipe the way I do a lot of recipes – simply by trying to use up some ingredients I had around the kitchen. I had some leftover cereal from making nutty brown rice krispie treats, and some marshmallows from making homemade marshmallows. So, naturally, my thought was to make rice krispie treats! But always one to like to add a twist to classics, I decided to use coconut oil in lieu of butter for an extra flavor kick. The bars thus turned out with a subtle, but delicious coconutty flavor with no extra effort. Another bonus to this recipe is that it takes less than 10 minutes prep time with minimal effort. The homemade marshmallows, although not necessary, added more chewiness to the bars, while subtracting any artificial taste. Use what you have in the kitchen, people! It’s how great recipes are born.
For the bars:
- 2 cups brown or regular rice krispies
- 2 tablespoons coconut butter/oiil
- one 10oz bag marshmallows or 4 cups homemade
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup coconut shreds
- Melt coconut butter and marshmallows in the microwave (should take only 20-30 seconds). Stir.
- Fold in cereal and optional extras if you have them.
- Spread into buttered or oiled 9×9 pan.
- Allow to cool/set for about 40 minutes.
See? Super quick and easy! Yum!