Hey everyone! I have a super exciting recipe to share with you today: instant pot vegan soy yogurt!
There are few things I ‘miss’ as a vegan, but if I could name just one thing I miss, it’d have to be plain Greek yogurt. I used to love that tangy thick creamy substance!
I am lactose intolerant (and vegan) so I haven’t been a dairy in years, and even when I did, it didn’t feel so great for my GI tract. Over the years, I’ve tried almost every non-dairy yogurt on the market and I’m always left wanting something more.
Now, there are some decent ones out there. I do really like Nancy’s Oatmilk yogurt (although it is not as good as their discontinued soy yogurt, in my humble opinion). Siggi’s non-dairy is also pretty decent, as is and Kitehill plain Greek style yogurt.
But I find the vast majority of non-dairy yogurts to be too thin, too sweet, and too ‘gooey’ for lack of a better word. I also find they often don’t fill me up for very long, as many of them are low in fat and protein.
So, I decided to finally order some vegan yogurt starter (I used this one) and try making my own instant pot vegan soy yogurt. And, much to my delight, it worked!
Although this recipe takes quite a bit of time (like, 16 hours), it’s pretty simple and hands off. This instant pot vegan soy yogurt is creamy, tangy, and delightfully simple to make. All you need is soy milk, vegan yogurt starter, and an Instant pot.
The resulting yogurt is also naturally low in sugar, so you can add whatever sweetener you like to whatever level of sweetness you desire. And because it’s made from soy milk, there is a bit of fat and protein to keep you nice and satiated.
Feel free to add in vanilla (or even almond) extract at the end if you desire. Otherwise, this yogurt is great plain, with your sweetener of choice, and/or with whatever toppings you desire!
I find raspberries, banana slices, cocoa nibs, and peanut butter to be a delightful combination. Let me know your favorite yogurt combinations down below. Happy yogurt making! 🙂
Instant Pot Vegan Soy Yogurt
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 8-10 hours
- 4 cups soy milk (use vanilla or plain, sweetened or unsweetened, to suit your preference)
- 1 packet (0.4 grams) vegan yogurt culture (I used this Vegan yogurt starter from Cultures of Health)
- *If you desire a thicker yogurt, you can add 1 teaspoon agar agar or cornstarch (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- In a microwave safe bowl or pyrex cup, warm soy milk to 110 degrees Fahrenheit (lukewarm) by microwaving for about 60-90 seconds in the microwave. Pour soy milk into Instant Pot and sprinkle vegan yogurt cultures on top.
- Turn the Instant Pot onto “Yogurt” mode. Allow to cook for 8 hours undisturbed. After 8 hours, turn off Instant Pot and allow to sit at room temperature for 2 hours.
- Transfer yogurt to a container. Whisk to remove any lumps. If you desire a thicker yogurt, add agar agar or cornstarch and whisk again.
- If desired, stir in vanilla.
- Place yogurt into a sealable container into the refrigerator and allow to sit for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Enjoy yogurt with berries, granola, nut butter, bananas, cocoa nibs, etc. Keep yogurt in a sealed container refrigerator for up to 7 days.
If you liked “Instant Pot Vegan Yogurt,” you may also like: