Hey there! I’m back from being a super spotty blogger over the past couple of weeks to share these vegan coconut chocolate chip cupcakes with you! I made these one night last week when I was up late working and was craving a break from my computer screen more than anything.
So, I closed my laptop, headed to the kitchen, and whipped up something random, which ended up being vegan coconut chocolate chip cupcakes!
These vegan coconut chocolate chip cupcakes are fluffy and delightful and bursting with chocolate chips. If you don’t have chocolate chips, you can chop up a bar of chocolate and use that instead.
And if coconut isn’t your thing, and you prefer a non-coconut flavored cake (and/or happen to be out of full-fat coconut milk), you can swap this ingredient for the same amount of a neutral oil (like canola or avocado).
Now, I’m usually a frosting person. But for some reason, I was just craving a quick bread-style cupcake and was feeling too lazy to make frosting.
The next morning, I did defrost some leftover frosting I had in the freezer from a recent cupcake fiasco, and added it to some of the remaining cupcakes (results: delicious). You can certainly frost these vegan coconut chocolate chip cupcakes if you so desire.
Vanilla vegan buttercream or chocolate vegan buttercream would both taste delightful. Almond vegan buttercream would be great too. I’ll leave a simple buttercream recipe at the end of the recipe if you would like a frosting option!
I am working on a nutrition-related blog post that I hope to get up over the weekend. As always, I welcome suggestions for nutrition or environmental science or public health-related posts.
Until then, I hope you enjoy these vegan coconut chocolate chip cupcakes. Millie and I are sending warm wishes and virtual hugs your way.
Vegan Coconut Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 8-15 minutes, depending on size of cookies baked
Servings: 8-16 cookies, depending on size of cookies baked
INGREDIENTS – Cupcakes:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk (from a can, or sub neutral oil like canola or avocado)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened plant milk (almond, soy, rice, etc)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (or sub additional vanilla)
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 cup nondairy chocolate chips or mini chocolate chips
INGREDIENTS – Frosting:
- 1/2 cup non-dairy butter, softened (I like to use Earth Balance baking sticks for frosting)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-2 tablespoon(s) non-dairy milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together coconut milk (or oil), sugar, plant milk, vanilla and almond extracts, and vinegar.
- Pour wet mix into dry mixture and fold gently until just combined.
- Add chocolate chips and stir gently until chocolate is just dispersed in the batter.
- Pour about 3/4 cup batter into each compartment of a lined or prepared muffin tin.
- Place muffin tin in the oven for 18-20 minutes until muffins have risen and are golden.
- Allow to cool. If frosting cupcakes, begin to assemble frosting: place softened vegan butter in a large bowl or stand mixer bowl. Add vanilla and almond extract and 1 cup powdered sugar. Beat together, preferably using an electric stand mixer or electric beaters until light and fluffy, for 1-2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula. Add remaining powdered sugar and beat for an additional 2-3 minutes. If the frosting is too thick, add non-dairy milk, one tablespoon at a time. Frost cooled cupcakes and enjoy.
If you liked ‘Vegan Coconut Chocolate Chip Cupcakes,’ you may also like: