Hi everyone! I thought I’d share some non-pandemic-related content on the blog today. I took some time to myself this weekend; I walked the dog, and I baked (these Easy Vegan Banana Oat Muffins), and I made a delicious black bean potato soup in the Instant Pot. A decent time was had, considering the rapidly-evolving public health crisis we face, as we all grapple with adjusting to our new normals.
There I go again. Even when I try not to talk about it, I somehow circle the conversation back to what’s happening. It’s just hard not to, since it impacts all of us with such gratitude.
But now back to muffins. Specifically, Easy Vegan Banana Oat Muffins that I whipped up with a couple pantry ingredients in a matter of minutes.
It felt really good to bake, and to eat a wholesome, homemade baked good. There is something irreplaceable about home-baked muffins, breads, an desserts, and I hadn’t delighted myself to a wholesome homemade baked good in some time. In fact, the last wholesome thing I made was these Vegan Breakfast Bars back in January.
So, these Easy Vegan Banana Oat Muffins hit the spot. I baked them sloppily, kind of making up the recipe as I went along, eyeballing things, and adjusting as I went, with no intention of posting them on the blog.
This is how I often bake at home. Sometimes things turn out great, sometimes they turn out well….edible.
These muffins turned out, honestly, rather scrumptious. They are wholesome and comforting and highly enjoyable warmed up in the microwave, and slathered with vegan butter and jam, or nut butter and a drizzle of syrup. They’re also great plain, if that’s your thing.
I ate 2 of these the day I made them and tucked the rest in the freezer for the rest of the week. It’ll be a treat to wake up, microwave a muffin, add some nut butter and fruit, and get on with the day.
That’s all I’ll share about these Easy Vegan Banana Oat Muffins for now. I hope you enjoy them, and I hope you have a nice day! Millie sends hugs.
Easy Vegan Banana Oat Muffins
Active Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 18-20 minutes
Servings: 6 muffins, easily doubled
- 2 medium to large ripe bananas
- 1 1/2 tablespoons neutral oil (like canola or avocado) or 1 tablespoon drippy nut butter of choice
- 1/4 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vinegar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (can sub agave or brown sugar)
- 1 cup oat flour (made from pulsing oats in a food processor or blender)
- 1/3 cup almond flour (can sub additional oat flour, whole wheat, or regular flour with differing results)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup walnuts (or other nut)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Mix almond milk and vinegar. Set aside. Mix ground flax and water. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash bananas. Add oil and maple syrup to mashed bananas and mix.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together oat flour, almond flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Add flour mixture to banana mixture. Fold to combine. Add flax mixture and almond milk to banana mixture. Fold to combine.
- Add walnuts and fold to combine.
- Divide batter into 6 muffin tins and bake for ~18-20 minutes until golden and fragrant. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
If you like these Easy Vegan Banana Oat Muffins, you may also like:
- Vegan Blueberry Flax Breakfast Muffins
- Vegan Gimme! Coffee Inspired Breakfast Bars
- Banachos (banana nachos)