For some reason I had the urge to make Italian Jam-Filled Sprinkle Cookies the other day. This thing happens to me where I randomly get a cooking or baking idea in my head and then I fixate on it for days, weeks, or even months, until I make it. It’s like scratching a creative itch. In this case, the itch I had to scratch was for Vegan Italian Jam-Filled Sprinkle Cookies. Yum.
These cookies are yummy and remind me both of my childhood (I had an Italian grandma) and my time at NYU (during which I lived by the famous Italian bakery Vieneros). Nostalgia is a powerful flavor. Sprinkle some into an upcoming meal, if you can. 😉
These Vegan Italian Jam-Filled Sprinkle Cookies have a lot going on. But not too much going on that they’d overwhelm.
They begin with two delicious crunchy vegan shortbread cookies. Normally, I am team chewy cookies all the way. But I make an exception for cookies dipped in chocolate or filled with jam. These are both, so they get a seat at my cookie table. Heck, every cookie can have a seat at my cookie table; the more the merrier.
When it comes to the jam layer, you can use whatever you have on hand or whatever your favorite jam may be. Technically, I did not use jam (which has a precise definition), but rather I used Trader Joe’s Superfruit spread in strawberry, which is the best fruity-sweet-paste on earth, as far as I’m concerned.
After the sandwiches take a rest in the refrigerator, they take a nice dip into melted chocolate, and get a lovely coating of sprinkles. One more cooling-induced set, and the cookies are ready to be placed joyfully on a plate and devoured.
That’s enough cookie talk. I hope you make these Vegan Italian Jam-Filled Sprinkle Cookies and I hope you like them! If you do, let me know! Reach out on Instagram, Twitter, or YouTube! Happy baking :).
Vegan Italian Jam-Filled Sprinkle Cookies
Prep Time: 60-80 minutes
Yield: ~12 sandwich cookies
- 1 cup vegan butter (such as Earth Balance)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (can sub vanilla)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (can sub whole wheat pastry flour if desired)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup jam of choice
- 1 1/2 cups non-dairy chocolate chips (such as Trader Joe’s) or chopped dark chocolate
- ~3 tablespoons sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat vegan butter and sugar until fluffy, about 3-5 minutes. Add almond extract and mix again.
- Add flour and salt and mix until just combined. Dough will be a little crumbly. Shape into a 2-inch thick log and freeze for 15-20 minutes to firm.
- Slice log into cookies, about 1/8 inch thick. Place onto a silicone baking sheet or parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 20-22 minutes, until lightly golden.
- Allow cookies to cool, then spread about 1 tablespoon jam onto the flat side of the cookie (the side that was directly touching the cookie sheet) and create a sandwich by placing another cookie on top of the jam and pressing gently. Repeat with all cookies.
- Allow jam-cookie sandwiches to firm in the refrigerator or freezer for 10-15 minutes.
- Place chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 30 second increments, stirring at each increment, until chocolate has melted. This should take 60-120 seconds total, depending on microwave.
- Prepare a flat surface with parchment paper or a clean silicone baking sheet. Dip each cookie into chocolate, coating half the cookie, using a spoon or knife to spread if necessary. Transfer dipped cookie onto flat prepared surface and sprinkle with sprinkles while chocolate is still wet.
- Transfer to the freezer or refrigerator to set, about 10-15 minutes. Enjoy!