Oh joy! We have Vegan Gluten-Free Banana Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies, which are carby and nourishing and naturally sweet and banana-y to nosh on for breakfast or as an anytime snack! Aka one of my favorite categories of snack foods. Let’s dive right in.
Today I really wanted something banana bread-esque, but I didn’t feel like birthing an entire loaf of banana bread. Because sometimes, you just want something that’s easy to grab and snack on. Enter these Vegan Banana Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies, which are naturally gluten-free!.
I’m a big fan of breakfast-y cookies or baked goods, hence my plethora of recipes for this category of foods, including but not limited to these Oatmeal Almond Butter Blueberry Pancake Cookies and Vegan Strawberry Almond Butter Oatmeal Crumb Bars and these Vegan Blueberry Flax Breakfast Muffins (my most popular recipe on my blog!) Yum.
These make a lovely addition to my breakfast-y baked good arsenal. They are sweet and tasty and packed with baked banana flavor that could easily satisfy a banana bread craving, and feel deeply satisfying and nourishing for the body and soul.
These Vegan Gluten-Free Banana Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies are packed with nutrients. The bananas lend their natural sweetness to the mighty soluble fiber-filled oat, and the almond flour adds satisfying protein and fats to the mix (along with an irresistible texture). Ground flax acts as a binding agent, and provides some heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids, which are difficult for some vegetarians and vegans to get enough of.
Drippy nut butter makes these even more irresistible, and ensures the cookies not only stay tender, but keep you full. Lastly, the optional maple syrup adds a wonderful hint of sweetness for those looking to live life on the sweeter side.
Mix-ins are up to you. I went with omega-3 filled walnuts for crunch and flavor, and also added blueberries to a few, but any nut or dried fruit will do. These Vegan Banana Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies are also great as is, without any extra additions. Choose your adventure and let me know your favorite combinations below!
Vegan Gluten-Free Banana Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Bake Time: 12-15 minutes
Yield: 10-12 cookies
- 1 3/4 cup mashed very ripe banana (3 large or 4 small bananas)
- 3 tablespoons nut butter (almond, peanut, or your favorite, or sub coconut or other neutral oil)
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup (if you like things sweeter, otherwise feel free to omit)
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1/3 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup ground flax
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or other nut of choice (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a large bowl, mash bananas. Add nut butter and maple syrup and whisk together. Add rolled oats, almond meal, ground flax, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and walnuts, and mix until well combined. Rest dough for 10 minutes to allow the oats can absorb some of the liquid.
3. Prepare a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or piece of parchment paper. Use a 1/4 cup scoop or ice cream scoop to scoop dough onto baking sheet, leaving at least an inch of space between cookies.
4. Place cookies in the oven for 12-15 minutes until fragrant and the tops begin to brown slightly. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely (they may need to set a bit) before transferring to an air-tight container for up to 3 days (freeze any you do not plan to eat within 2-3 days).