I absolutely adore pancakes. Light, fluffy, and wholesome, there’s nothing more I love than a quick-to-cook warm carb to brighten my morning and serve as a vehicle for nut butters and maple syrup. To me, pancakes make a day feel special. I often make a large batch on a weekend day, pop them in the freezer, and then microwave them on busy weekday mornings for a much anticipated moment of happiness. Pancakes just brighten my day and my mood.
For this very reason, I most often keep pancake mix on hand. While I like to bake from scratch, I have found select pancake mixes are affordable, delicious, convenient, and made with ingredients I would use at home (Bob’s Red Mill Organic multi-grain mix is one of my favorites, and I also love their Buckwheat variety).
In the past year or so, I’ve been intrigued to test the flexibility of a pancake mix; that is, I’ve been enjoying experimenting with using pancake mix as a base for non-pancake items. Muffins, Oatmeal Almond Butter Blueberry Breakfast Cookies, these Vegan Pancake Mix Cookies, even quick breads – I’ve realized the sky is the limit with pancake mix, as long as you’re comfortable with your final product maintaining a mild pancakey flavor.
Enter these Vegan Pancake Mix Cookies. Using pancake mix as a base, these cookies come together in mere minutes, and result in wholesome, fluffy, puffy dreamy cookies.
Yes, they do still taste a little bit like pancakes. But this isn’t a bad thing. In fact, it’s a rather good thing if you love pancakes as much as I do. If you use wholesome whole grain pancake mix and rolled oats, your cookie will be hearty in texture in flavor. But you can also use a conventional mix and swap oats for more mix if wholesome isn’t what you’re going for.
In this batch of Vegan Pancake Mix Cookies, I used chocolate chips. You could also use dried fruit and nuts. In fact, that might even be better.
There are a variety of ways to make this recipe work for you based on what you have in your pantry. All roads lead to cookie, which is a scrumptious place to end up!
And as always, thanks for stopping by! 🙂
Easy Vegan Pancake Mix Cookies
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Bake Time: 10-12 minutes
Yield: 12 cookies
- 2 cups whole wheat pancake mix (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (or sub additional 1/2 cup pancake mix)
- 1/4 cup almond butter (or softened non-dairy butter, such as EarthBalance)
- 2 tablespoons avocado or other neutral vegetable oil (such as canola, walnut, sunflower, etc)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or turbinado sugar (can sub brown sugar)
- 1/4 cup apple sauce (or 1/4 mashed banana)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup nondairy milk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup dried fruit, nuts, non-dairy chocolate chips (I used Trader Joe’s) or a mix of those listed
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
2. Place all ingredients in a bowl. Mix until just combined. Do not over-mix.
3. Allow dough to set in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes, or until chilled.
4. Scoop dough into 2 inch balls, and place cookie dough balls onto prepared baking sheet, leaving at least an inch of space between each ball.
5. Bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly puffed and golden brown.
6. Remove from oven, cool, and enjoy with a nice tall glass of chill non-dairy milk of your choice.