Hello my fine friends! Happy 2019 to you. How’s the weather where you’re at? Here in Wisco, after a long weird warm spell, we have returned to our regularly scheduled January-in-the-midwest programming, with highs in the teens and twenties. I woke up this morning wanting something warm and comforting, and birthed this easy, delicious, Vegan Sweet Potato & Apple Baked Oatmeal out of my oven.
Baked oatmeal is a favorite comfort food of mine. I used to love the hot stepping bowls of Baked Oatmeal at Alterra (RIP) in Milwaukee. I’ll spare you my opinions on the current state of the now-Collectivo chain, and delve into the details behind this luscious, wholesome version of baked oatmeal you can easily make at home.
This Vegan Sweet Potato & Apple Baked Oatmeal starts with rolled oats (I used Bob’s Red Mill, but any will do). From there, mashed sweet potato (I used canned Organic pureed sweet potatoes, canned pumpkin would also work) adds an umami depth and richness, complimented with a healthy, hefty dose of cinnamon.
I sweeten the deal with a shredded apple and a couple tablespoons of maple syrup. Baking powder brings the fluffiness, salt provides some balance, and nuts add both crunch and lasting satiety.
30 minutes in the oven later, the result is a tray full of wholesome vegan and gluten-free goodness, perfectly delicious on its own, with a splash a syrup, a dollop of fruit preserves, or a spoonful of nut butter.
Leftovers will store sealed in the fridge for a couple of days, and reheat beautifully in the microwave or oven. Top with yogurt or milk of your choice to cool it down and add some extra flavor.
Anyways, I hope you make this oatmeal and I hope you like it! If you do, hit me up on Instagram, Twitter, or YouTube (PS – I’ve filmed quite a few videos this break, and now that I have my computer back after an 8 day repair-stint, am editing them to post soon! Woot woot).
Stay #blessed, y’all!
Vegan Sweet Potato & Apple Baked Oatmeal
Active Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 30-40 minutes
Servings: 4-6 ish
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons ground flax (can sub chia seeds)
- 1 cup cooked, mashed sweet potato (can sub canned sweet potato puree and/or canned pumpkin)
- 1 grated apple
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon melted vegan butter and/or neutral oil (such as avocado)
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 3/4 teaspoon vinegar (any kind will work)
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup pecans
1. Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit. Prepare a 9×9 or 9×13 inch baking sheet by generously oiling or butter-ing the tray.
2. In a large bowl, combine rolled oats, cinnamon, flax, and salt. Mix well.
3. Peel (if desired) and grate apple into the bowl. Add mashed sweet potato, maple syrup, butter or oil, non-dairy milk, vinegar, and nuts. Mix to combine.
4. Pour mixture into prepared pan and place in the oven. Bake for 30-40 minutes until fragrant and top is lightly golden. A fork should come out clean when inserted/removed in the middle of the pan.
5. Enjoy warm with vegan butter, maple syrup, fruit preserves, nut butter, or as is.