I love cauliflower; it’s one of my favorite vegetables. I’d even go so far as putting in my top three most loved vegetables, alongside sweet potatoes and romaine. And lucky for my tastebuds, cauliflower is finally having the moment I’ve always believed it deserves, and I’ve been trying it in every shape and form I can get my hands on. However, I realized last week I’d not yet made a Cauliflower ‘steak’ before, and then when whole heads of cauliflower went on sale when I was at the stores a few hours later, I decided to give it a try, and the Cauliflower steak with Herb & hummus sauce was born.
The result was an interesting and different veggie-packed dish that I will make again and again. Now, obviously, a cauliflower steak is nothing like a beef steak and I am by no means trying to fool anyone there.
Rather, I think this is a fun way to eat veggie and should be enjoyed in its own entity (I feel the same way about rice vs cauliflower rice – just different foods completely, so I don’t compare or replace them with one another, but enjoy them for what they are). I went with a rather simple preparation for the cauliflower. Just a bit of high-heat oil, salt, and pepper.
Now, onto the sauces: I basically thinned out hummus (I used Trader Joe’s horseradish hummus), thinned it out with water, and added nutritional yeast. Yum. You can add a dash of lemon juice or horseradish if you fancy, as well.
The second sauce is an herby sauce to brighten things up. Truth be told, I thinned out Trader Joe’s Vegan Avocado Green Goddess dressing on this evening because I’m lazy. But I’m linking a similar recipe here that also works really well. I’d come up with my own, but this one is really good, and I’d rather just link you to a good one from a hard-working blogger rather than copy/paste it and pretend it’s my own because that’s called plagiarism and I ain’t about that life.
Anyways, I hope you make these super easy Cauliflower Steaks with Herb & Hummus Sauce and Hazelnuts and hope you like it! If you make it, holler at me on Insta or comment down below! Have a good one.
Cauliflower Steak with Herb & Hummus Sauce and Hazelnuts
Active Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 – 40 minutes
Servings: about 4 ‘steaks’
Ingredients – Cauliflower Steaks:
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1-2 tablespoons avocado oil (or other neutral high-heat cooking oil)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked pepper
Hummus & Herb Sauces:
- 1/2 cup hummus (can use flavored, if desired; I used Trader Joe’s Horseradish hummus)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup vegan avocado green goddess dressing (I used Trader Joe’s for this particular dinner, however I have made this dressing before and it would work well too!)
- 3 tablespoons hazelnuts (or walnuts, or whatever nut you like!)
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wash cauliflower head and pat to dry with a clean towel or paper towel. Slice lengthwise to form ‘steaks.’ Mine were about 1 inch thick. You will have some ‘bookends’ on either side; I just chopped those and roasted them separately.
- Brush steaks (and bookends, if desired) with oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Place steaks in the preheated oven for and roast for 25-40 minutes, until tender in the middle and crisp on the outside, flipping half way through.
- While cauliflower is roasting, prepare sauces. Combine hummus, water, and nutritional yeast in a bowl. If desired, add a squirt of hot sauce or dash of horseradish for extra flavor.
- Drizzle cauliflowers with sauces and nuts, and serve.