Meet your new favorite quick and super satisfying meal: easy Pesto Hummus Pasta! And guess what? If you’re a hummus lover, it’s probable you have everything you need to make it right now!
This recipe has a multitude of admirable qualities: 1) It comes together very quickly. 2) It’s one of the easiest “home cooked” meals you can make. 3) It’s super customizable based on what’s already in your kitchen. 4) It’s delicious and satisfying!
All you really need is your favorite pasta, and your favorite hummus, and whatever veggies you may have around your apartment or home.
As for noodles, I used Banza wheels because that’s what I had. Banza noodles are made from chickpeas and I happen to rather much enjoy them. They have the texture of whole wheat noodles and a slight nutty flavor. You can uses whatever you want!
Next there’s the hummus component. For this particular batch I used Kale Pesto Hummus (from Hope Foods). You can use your favorite flavored hummus. I think sun-dried tomato hummus, roasted garlic hummus, roasted red pepper, spinach and artichoke, and tomato basil hummus would all be fabulous. You can also use regular hummus and add a tablespoon or two of pesto sauce, some minced garlic, some sundried tomatoes, or leave it as it is.
Once you’ve found noodles and hummus, consult your refrigerator and/or freezer for whatever vegetables you may have. Frozen mixed veggies would work wonderfully. As would slow roasted onions with tomatoes. Or some roasted squash. Yum. I love vegetables.
On this particular day, I used up some up some broccoli and cherry tomatoes. Use whatever you want! Feel free to steam, blanch, roast, or boil your veggies for your pasta. Or omit veggies completely. That’s fine too.
Next, top with nutritional yeast and hemp seeds. These are completely necessary, but I recommend them. If you’re not vegan and don’t have nooch, grated parm would work just fine.
Once you have all your ingredient duckies in a row, this recipe comes together super fast. Just cook your noodles while cooking your vegetables, thin out your hummus with pasta water, and toss it all together in a bowl along with the nutritional yeast and hemp hearts. Garnish salt and pepper and enjoy!
Easy Pesto Hummus Pasta
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Servings: 2-3 entrees
- 1 8-ounce box of passta
- 3/4-1 cup hummus of choice, depending on desired sauciness (recommended flavors: regular, regular mixed with 1 tablespoon pesto, sun-dried tomato, basil, roasted red pepper, olive tapenade, spinach & artichoke, roasted garlic)
- 2-3 tablespoons pasta water
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons hemp seeds (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups vegetables fresh or frozen of choice, steamed or raw
- garnishes (optional): sun-dried tomatoes, olives, fresh basil, etc
- Cook noodles according to directions on the package. You can blanch your vegetables in your boiling water if desired for easy cooking. Reserve at least 1/2 cup of pasta water.
- Steam vegetables in the microwave or on the stovetop. Set aside.
- Mix hummus with 1-2 tablespoons of pasta water to thin to desired consistency. Personally, I like thick sauce, so I don’t add that much, but add as much as you desire.
- Add hummus, nutritional yeast and vegetables to cooked noodles and toss.
- Top with hemp seeds, other garnishes, annd salt & pepper to taste,