I’m between jobs that require me to be places and wear pants at the moment, and am starting school in just a few weeks so finding a job outside of my various freelance gigs feels kinda pointless at the moment.
So what’s a girl to do? Bake. Bake all day. Duh.
But what about when you’ve baked so hard you have too many baked goods to handle? Well, you bake for your dog, of course.
I made this banana bread with some random stuff I had around my kitchen. You can customize it to your liking or based on what you have in your pantry (there are several variations offered in the recipe; see below).
The awesome thing about baking for dogs is that if there’s peanut butter involved, they probably won’t be very fussy. I’m pretty sure I could have baked a piece of rotting bread and spread peanut butter on top and Millie would still be a happy gal. Bless her.
In case you were wondering, she really liked it. Shocking, I know. I even caught her jumping on the kitchen counter to get more (yes, she’s small, but the girl can HOP).
Feel free to think baking your dog banana bread is over the top. Because that might be partially true. But I’ve always believed that if you’re going to have a pet, you may as well spoil the crap out of them.
I’m working on another pet-related post to explain why this week has been tough for me, so stay tuned.
Also, I’ve promised to myself I’m going to be more consistent and candid with my blogging. I’m investing my time and energy into this instead of pursuits that do not grow or benefit me in any way.
So buckle up and get ready to join me next year as I go back to school yet again for my third degree (lol school forever) at Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health. #schooltilim50 #noregrets
Without further adieu…
Banana Bread with Peanut Butter Frosting (For Dogs)
Prep Time: 20 minutes, plus time to chill dough
Cook Time: 30-45 minutes
Servings: 1 medium-sized loaf of doggie banana bread (enough for 8-14 treats)
Ingredients – Bread:
- 2 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter
- 1 cup oat flour (you can make your own by pulsing rolled oats in a food processor or blender until a powder/flour forms)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup ground flax
- 2 eggs OR 4 tablespoons chia seeds + 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup water or milk or unsweetened almond milk or apple sauce
Ingredients – Frosting:
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter
- 2-3 tablespoons plain yogurt, non-diary yogurt, milk, or nondairy milk to thin (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F . Oil a loaf pan.
- Mash bananas in a large bowl. Add peanut butter and mix well. If necessary, microwave peanut butter for 30-60 seconds until it becomes melty and pliable enough to stir.
- Add oat flour, rolled oats, cinnamon, baking soda, and flax. Mix well.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 30-45 minutes, until a crust forms on the top and a toothpick/fork poked in the center of the loaf is clean upon insertion and removal.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- To prepare frosting, thin out peanut butter with milk/yogurt (if using) until desired consistency is reached. You can also just spread peanut butter on top. Your dog probably won’t mind.
For human banana bread, check out this recipe.