CINNAMON. ROLLS. Vegan oatmeal apple cinnamon rolls with coconut vanilla yogurt icing, to be precise.
Is there anything like ’em? No. There is not. When you’re craving a cinnamon roll, absolutely nothing else will do.
Which is why after craving them like cray for several days in a row, I decided to make some. Now I’m simultaneously #satisfied, and eager to make some more cinnamon roll variations (my friend suggested carrot cake…genius?! yes).
Me being me, I decided to tweak classic cinnamon rolls and put my own lil twist on ’em. I used oat flour because I wanted something not junky tasting (tho I do love a junky cinnamon roll sometimes…just was more in the mood for hearty/substantial/I really love the texture/flavor of oat flour in baking).
Then, for the filling, I used apple sauce + cinnamon + a wee bit of non-dairy butter (tho you could even skip the non-dairy butter).
For icing, I used vanilla coconut yogurt. This was actually because I was out of powdered sugar and too lazy and cheap to buy more at the moment so I opted for yogurt. And you know what? IT WAS AMAZING. Happy accident AF. Tangy, sweet, vanilla-…it was like a shortcut, less intense cream cheese icing. 10/10 would reccomend.
You should make these cinnamon rolls if you are looking for something satisfying, not junky, and different fr breakfast. If you are looking for a classic, more junky, Cinnabon-esque cinnamon roll, this recipe probably isn’t what you want right now. If you want to make cream cheese icing or other icing, be my guest. Either way, get rockin’ and rollin’.
Vegan Oatmeal Apple Cinnamon Rolls with Coconut Vanilla Yogurt Icing & Walnuts
Prep Time: 30 minutes, plus 6-8 for proofing
Cook Time: 20-40 minutes
Servings: about 4 small cinnamon rolls
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon melted non-dairy butter
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup oat flour (can sub AP or whole-wheat flour if desired)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour or whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/3 cup apple sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoon non-dairy butter (I like Earth Balance)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 container coconut or soy milk vanilla yogurt (I like So Delicious, Soyo, Silk, and Stony Field’s Brands)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Warm almond milk in a bowl to about 110 F. The milk should be warm, but not boiling.
- Add yeast and allow to bloom, about 10 minutes.
- Add sugar, salt and vanilla. Mix
- Add flours, 1/2 cup at a time, folding gently into the butter mixture.
- Allow dough to rise until doubled in size, roughly 6-8 hours.
- When dough has risen, roll out into a rectangle, about 1/4th inch thick.
- Coat dough rectangle with apple sauce, and then add 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, cubed.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over apple sauce.
- Roll dough into one log. Use a knife to cut into fourths.
- Place fourths/rolls into well-oiled pan and bake for 30-40 minutes until golden and fragrant.
- Remove from oven and drizzle with yogurt. Top with chopped nuts, if desired.