Feta: a cheese I never really purchased, but enjoyed when it was used as a seasoning. Tofu: something I have always adored plain and/or manipulated. Tofu feta: a fun experiment I simply had to try one day and have loved ever since.
So here we are: Herby marinated tofu feta. Are you ready for this? I hope you’re ready for this.
Simply to prepare, and full of flavor, this stuff is good on salads, pasta, pizza, sandwiches, avo toast — you pretty much can’t go wrong.
Does it taste like authentic feta? No. And I’m not going to lie to you about that. This isn’t really a good substitute if you’re craving hardXcore cheese. For that I’d reccomend buying an aged plant-based cheese or actual feta.
This IS a delicious, protein-packed, flavorful way to eat tofu and something I am going to be making regularly from now on.
I used Trader Joe’s 21 Seasoning Salute as a shortcut. If you’ve never had it, it is delicious. I add it to so.many.things: like vinaigrettes and roasted veggies. SO GOOD. If you don’t have it, I listed easy swaps.
Make this and add it to your next salad or Greek salad. Then HMU on Insta and let me know what ya thought!
Prep Time: minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes, but at least 2-4 hours for chilling
Servings: about 4
- 1 12-16 ounce package tofu
- juice of 1 large lemon
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Trader Joe’s 21 seasoning salute (or, 1/4 tablespoon) garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon oregano, and 1/2 tablespoon dried basil)
- pinch sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Drain and press tofu with a paper towel. You want to remove excess moisture.
- Cut tofu into small cubes.
- Combine lemon juice, water, vinegar, nutritional yeast, olive oil, oregano, sugar and sea salt.
- Place tofu into marinade and allow to marinate in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours, or longer if desired.
- Serve on top of salads or with pasta. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.