Hey hey! How’s your long weekend going? Mine’s been chill AF and filled with time with my Mil-dawg, which was much-needed after a long week.
In other news, I’ve got an easy sweet recipe for ya. I made these a few weeks ago and decided to make them again and post the recipe. I also tried adding a glaze this time and ended up liking them better without the glaze.
Maybe next time I should just buy vegan white chocolate and melt it and use that. Oh well. Ya live and ya learn, ya know?
These are really great if you’re one of those people who loves coconut. I happen to be one of those people. Coconut me anything.
I also really love lemon. Giada is totally right on the whole lemon thing: that shit adds shine to any dish. I love lemon in sweet, savory, breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert. Mmm mm mmm. Lemon me.
One pro tip I’d give for these macaroons: make sure you pulse the coconut in a food processor or blender or Vitamix or whatever fancy shit you got before you make the macaroons. It helps them bind and greatly enhances the texture/overall final mouth feel.
But if you love lemon and/or coconut, MAKE THESE. And dip ’em in white chocolate if you want. They’re great as a mid-morning snack, enjoy with yogurt or ice cream (I crushed one in my yogurt and it was like 10/10 material), or eat as dessert.
Above is the photo from my original Insta post.
And if you love coconut, make THESE amazing vegan coconut macaroon bars with chocolate and almonds. More life-type posts coming soon!
Vegan Coconut Lemon Macaroons
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Servings: about 12 bars
- 8 ounces shredded coconut (unsweetened, I got mine for $1.99 at Trader Joe’s)
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (optional, but truly the MVP here; if you don’t have any, sub an additional teaspoon vanilla)
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1 lemon
- 6 ounces dairy-free or regular white chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place shredded coconut in a food processor or blender and pulse until a rough crumb forms (it should still have some shredded texture, but aim for tiny shred pieces).
- Transfer shredded coconut to a bowl.
- Wash and zest lemon.
- Microwave coconut oil until melted (about 1 minute). Pour into bowl with shredded coconut. Add maple syrup, vanilla extract, and almond extract, lemon zest and juice, and stir until well combined and sticky. If the dough does not seem sticky enough, add an additional tablespoon or two of maple syrup.
- Shape dough into small balls. I did this using a mini melon baller. Place balls of coconut dough onto parchment paper-lined baking sheet, roughly 1 inch apart.
- Place oven for 10-12 minutes, until top is just lightly browned.
- Remove pan from oven and place in the refrigerator to cool.
- If using white chocolate, microwave chocolate chips in 30 second increments until melted, stirring at each increment. This will take about 90-120 seconds.
- Remove macaroons from the refrigerator or freezer, dip bottoms in white chocolate, and return to parchment paper.
- Place bars into the refrigerator until the chocolate top sets, at least one hour.