Puppy chow!! Aka muddy buddies (apparently). Aka the best darn sweet crunchy snack of all times ever period!I remember puppy chow sales being a thing when I was little. Were they a thing where you grew up? Because when I went to college I realized they aren’t a thing everywhere. In fact all 3 of my freshman year suite-mates hadn’t heard of puppy chow. How sad, I know.
I think Puppy Chow is a Midwest thing. I could be wrong. All I know is that everyone I know from the Midwest knows what it is, and I’ve met lots of coasties who do not. But that could be an anomaly.
If you look on the back of a Chex box for a puppy chow recipe, you may notice that that recipe contains butter and vanilla. I find these additions to be unessential. Like, when you’re eating puppy chow, I feel like they don’t add much.
At least to me. I just use peanut butter, chocolate, powdered sugar, and cereal, and I don’t miss anything. So I reason I’ll save vanilla and butter for instances where it really does add shine. Gotta save those valuable baking resources, amiright?
So here is my coincidentally, stripped-down, bare-bones, completely delicious vegan puppy chow recipe. If you’ve never had it, make it right the fuck now. Trust me.
PS: If you want more p chow in your life, check out this Puppy Chow Granola post!
Easy Vegan Puppy Chow
- Prep Time: 15-20 mins
- Cook Time: nada
- Servings: varies on how much you can eat at once (I can eat a lot of this at once)
- 6 cups Chex or other plain cereal
- 1/2 cup peanut butter or other nut butter (almond or sunflower seed butter would also be yummy)
- 1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips (I use Trader Joe’s) or chopped dark chocoalte
- 1/2-3/4 cup powdered sugar, depending on if you’re one of those people who likes a little or a lot of powdered sugar on your chow
- Melt the chocolate in a large microwave safe bowl by heating in 30-second increments in your microwave for 1-2 minutes, stirring between each until chocolate is almost (but not completely) melted. Add peanut butter to the bowl and return to the microwave and heat for an additional 30-60 seconds, until peanut butter is also melty.
- Mix those two together. Enjoy the views and the smells.
- Add cereal to bowl and mix gently. You want to coat the cereal with the chocolate/peanut butter mixture, but also want to be careful as to not crush the cereal.
- Transfer to a large zip-lock, add powdered sugar, and shake it up until cereal is coated with powdered sugar.
- Eat the shit out of that delicious puppy chow.