I have an obsession with bananas. If you’re my Facebook friend and/or follow me on Instagram, you may know that it is my 2015 New Year’s resolution to keep track of all the bananas I eat in 2015. Yes I know that’s weird. But would you expect any different from me?
How did the “Banana Project” resolution come to be, you ask? People in the past have poked fun at my love for / gigantic consumption of bananas and I’ve been asked a time or two how many I eat in a day or week. It varies. Fast forward to New Year’s Eve of this year. I got home from a party (at which I soberly dropped by brand new iPhone 6 in the toilet), and wanted a snack.I had eaten two bananas the night before, and just wanted another. So I had one. It was my first food of 2015, at approximately 1:16am. And I thought, gosh darn it! I’m going to keep track of all the bananas I eat this year and do away with any unrealistic or idealistic goal for myself. Right now I’m at 126.
Then, I recently started working at Trader Joe’s, at which I discovered these MAGICAL frozen nuggets of pure ecstasy known as “Gone Bananas.” Put simply, they are frozen banana chunks dipped in outrageously delicious luscious chocolate. They’re irrationally delicious and addictive. The box says it has 4 servings but I can eat it in one.
Everyone should go to their local Trader Joe’s and buy some. The only potential problem is that you’re gonna need like 8 boxes to last you until next time you go even if you’re planning to go again tomorrow.
And an additional problem is that not everyone is fortunate enough to have a Trader Joe’s close to their homes and may be unable to get these. Because I’m a huge fan of re-creating things I love, I decided to merge my love of making goodies and my love of bananas to make Gone Bananas at home.
So here they are. Three Ingredients. Minimal skillz required. Easy peasy delicious chocolatey banana goodness. You’re welcome.
Copycat Trader Joe’s Gone Bananas – Frozen Chocolate Banana Bites
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Freeze Time: 2 one-hour periods
- 2 large ripe bananas
- 1 cup dark chocolate or Baker’s chocolate, chopped; or 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (recipe will work without it, but it really helps hold up the shell and keep it hard)
1. Slice bananas into coins, about 1/8th inch thick. Actually you can cut them as thick or thin as you’d like. Go ahead, do you.
2. Place banana slices onto a baking sheet or large plate lined with parchment plate. Pop into the freezer and freeze until banana pieces are frozen, at least one hour.
3. When banana slices are frozen, melt chocolate in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring between each, until chocolate is melted. Stir in coconut oil until melted and well combine.
4. Remove banana slices from freezer. Dip each in chocolate/coconut oil mixture, coating both sides. Place chocolate-dipped banana slices back onto parchment paper. Repeat with all slices. Return chocolate-covered slices to freezer and freeze until chocolate is hardened, 30 minutes to an hour.
5. GO BANANAS~! 😀