The April Recipe Redux challenge was to make a dish, and repurpose the leftovers of that dish for another meal. It’s like double the yummies with one grocery trip. Win.
I’ve been wanting to play with Soba noodles for a while now. There’s something I love about the idea of a cold soba noodle salad. I also love anything covered in gingery-soy dressing.
Which is why I go to half price sushi every week with my mom and order a salad just so I can DRINK the ginger dressing they put on top. And then when the server comes to clear my bowl I hoard my bowl like “NO! I NEED THAT DRESSING!” so I can dip my sushi into it and soak up every last drop. I’m boarderline insane. Or just really weird. Or both. Anyways, SOBA:
I used my leftover Asian Kale Salad, added it to some cooked soba noodles, used the same dressing, and threw on some tempeh (could sub tofu or omit completely), and viola! Meal 2.0 was born, drenched in soy gingery goodness.
Okay so I need to relax about my dressing obsession; regardless, this is a healthy, refreshing, yet filling and nourishing meal. The soba noodles were a welcome change of pace for me.
I actually really loved the unique buckwheat flavor. They have a bit of a heartier feel to them than regular noodles, yet all the slippery slidy mouthfeel. Another bonus was that they cooked in 4 minutes are a source whole grain. Yay whole grains! #carbs5ever
Combine with the crunch from the Asian Kale Salad, the edamame, and the tofu, it makes for a power-meal that will keep you going for hours wtihout feeling icky or weighed down. This is like a bowl of power noodlez, y’all.
Soba Noodle Asian Kale Salad with Soy Ginger Dressing
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 4-5 minutes
- 2 cups soba noodles, cooked (about 4″ in diameter, uncooked)
- 1 cup Asian Kale Salad
- 1/2 cup Sesame Soy Ginger Dressing
- 3/4 cup tempeh or tofu, cubed
- 1/4 cup cilantro or green onions (optional)
- hot sauce or Sriracha (optional)
1. Cook soba noodles according to direction on package. Drain and allow to cool. Transfer to bowl.
2. Pour 1/2 cup Sesame Soy Ginger Dressing on noodles and stir until noodles are lightly coated. Add Asian Kale salad and toss again.
3. Cube tempeh or tofu and use to top noodles. Chop cilantro or green onions and add to noodle bowl. Add hot sauce or Sriracha as desired. Enjoy~!