The thing about homemade marshmallows is that they’re actually really easy to make. Like, if you can make a chocolate chip cookie, you can make marshmallows.
The other thing about homemade marshmallows is that if you bring them anywhere, people thing you’re like some pastry chef. they’ll be totally impressed with you. It’s hilarious. “wow youm ade those? i didn’t even know that was possible.” which is sort of bizarre to hear when you know how simple they actually are to make. It’s like this dirty little secret you can have with yourself. It’ll feel fun and naughty and delicious all at once.
So, to start you need:
- Cooking spray (like Pam – if you don’t have this, dab a little vegetable oil on a paper towel)
- 1 cup cold water, split into two 1/2 cups.
- 3 1/4-ounce envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 2 cups regular white sugar
- 2/3 cup light corn syrup
- a dash of salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (or almond extract or coconut extract or lemon extract etc etc)
- 1/2 cup potato starch (flour works fine if you don’t have this in your pantry)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Dip them in melted chocolate and freeze them until the chocolate firms up. (Take it to another level by rolling in shaved almonds or coconut shreds before freezing)
- Mix chai powder into your powder sugar mix instead of flour/potato starch
- As mentioned above, use a different extract or oil (peppermint for the holidays!)
- Use them in homemade s’mores with a high quality chocolate bar and perhaps a drizzle of carmel sauce and then a dash of sea salt- (this is money)
That’s it! Happy Eating and Happy 4th of July!!
(and if anyone is wondering…Listerine killed more bacteria, followed by Target Brand, then Scope)